Call for Speakers for 2019!
We may have different perspectives but we share the same purpose – to make gambling safe.
At BCLC’s seventh annual New Horizons in Responsible Gambling Conference, we want to hear your perspective, discoveries, recommendations and approaches to how we, as an industry can move the needle on success to make gambling safe.
What is your harm reduction strategy? Are you conducting new research that will impact the gambling industry? How can we reduce harm and increase safer play behaviour? Have you developed a new approach to prevention or treatment?
Engage with us. We want to hear from you and are now accepting proposals to explore potential speakers for the conference.
Why speak at New Horizons?
New Horizons is an internationally recognized conference where hundreds of industry professionals, researchers as well as prevention and treatment specialists converge each year, making it an incredible platform for thought leadership and exploration.
Speakers have the opportunity to make an impact, inspire change and challenge the industry to do more.
If you share this passion to help make gambling safe, inspire and generate ideas among a diverse audience, please submit your proposal!
Topics of interest:
- Positive play behaviours
- Harm reduction strategies and the measurements and metrics
- Knowledge translation - putting research into practice
- New responsible gambling technologies and innovations
- Sports betting
- Approaches to encourage help-seeking behaviour and motivational change
- The impact of game structural characteristics on players
- Special populations and ethnic markets
- Longitudinal research on players
- Other novel research in responsible gambling
Submissions should be relevant to industry (operators/manufacturers/regulators/service providers/policy makers), and be research-based insights. Applied research, field experiments, and industry/academia collaborations are strongly encouraged.
Dates: March 12 – 14, 2019 at Parq Vancouver in Vancouver, B.C.
Attendance: Over 300 delegates (industry professionals, prevention programmers, researchers, treatment providers and educators).
Speaker Sessions: Sessions will last 60 minutes (introduction, presentation and question and answer period).
Panel Sessions: Panels will provide 20 - 30 minutes of time per speaker.
Conference Focus: Responsible gambling and social responsibility within the gaming industry or in a broader context.
Conference Goals: Provide every attendee with new knowledge about responsible gambling and social responsibility within the industry and beyond. Inspire change and create purpose in the industry.
Submitting a Proposal
- All proposals must be received by November 2, 2018.
- Proposals must be submitted using the Guest Speaker Proposal Submission Form. Download the form, and fill out each question in the template, as submissions are reviewed based on the quality of information provided. Please email the completed template to email@example.com
- Feel free to pass this call for speakers to a colleague or friend who you think may be a great addition to the conference.
Proposal Review Process
Members of the BCLC Conference Committee will review all proposals and consider the following criteria:
- Uniqueness of the topic
- Relevance to the conference
- Value offered to attendees
- Ideas for audience engagement included in proposal – interaction, discussion and multi-media encouraged
- Experience and credentials of the speaker in relation to the topic
- Ability for attendees to use the presentation information
- Feedback garnered from references
Please note that if more than one proposal is received on the same subject area you may be asked to join a panel.
Decisions of the Conference Committee are final.
Notification of acceptance will be sent no later than November 30, 2018.
Expectations of Presenters
- Presenters are expected to meet all deadlines, as communicated by BCLC.
- Presentations will reflect content submitted in the proposal unless agreed otherwise, in advance with BCLC.
- Presenters will provide any necessary materials (e.g. PowerPoint presentation) by the date requested. Should BCLC provide a template for standardized use by presenters, this format only will be used unless agreed otherwise, in advance with BCLC.
- All presenters will be expected to provide consent to having their photograph or video images taken during the conference, consent to have their presentation distributed to attendees and posted online and be available for media interviews if requested. Presenters may request exemption from the requirement to distribute presentations in advance but this will be granted only in rare circumstances.
- Presenters may be asked to support promotion of the conference through BCLC pre-conference promotional activities, or to promote their own participation through relevant media available through their own organization, professional affiliations or online activities (blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
- Presenters may also be asked to participate in additional special conference sessions designed to extend availability of their expertise to attendees.
All selected presenters will receive complimentary conference registration which includes breakfasts, lunches, coffee breaks and hospitality/networking events.
BCLC plans to promote both the conference and the expertise of individual presenters through regional, national and international media.
Thank you for your interest in, and support for, the New Horizons in Responsible Gambling conference.
*Documents are not currently supported on mobile devices.