Call for Guest Speakers
5th Annual New Horizons in Responsible Gambling Conference
The New Horizons in Responsible Gambling Conference will be celebrating its fifth anniversary in 2017, and hosts, BCLC, are now accepting proposals from potential speakers for the milestone event.
Hundreds of industry professionals converge on the conference each year, making it an incredible platform for thought leadership. The ideas shared by our speakers have the potential to truly make an impact in the industry. If you want to inspire and generate ideas among a diverse audience of researchers, industry representatives, and prevention or treatment specialists, we want to hear from you!
Do you have a unique perspective on social responsibility in the gaming industry? Have you developed novel insights into the world of responsible gambling? Are you conducting first-of-its-kind research that will impact the gambling world?
We are looking for presenters to submit to areas of special interest, including:
- Positive play behaviours
- Measures of gambling harm
- The link between responsible gambling and customer service
- New responsible gambling technologies and innovations
- Approaches to encourage help-seeking behavior and motivational change
- The impact of game structural characteristics on players
- Special populations and ethnic markets
- Longitudinal research on players
- Other novel research in responsible gambling
Submissions should be relevant to industry (operators/manufacturers/regulators/service providers/policy makers), and be research-based insights. Applied research, field experiments, and industry/academia collaborations are strongly encouraged.
Dates: February 20-22, 2017 at the Vancouver Convention Centre in Vancouver, B.C.
Attendance: Over 275 delegates (industry professionals, prevention programmers, researchers, treatment providers and educators).
Speaker Sessions: Sessions will last 60–75 minutes (introduction, presentation and question and answer period).
Panel Sessions: Panels will provide 30 minutes of time per speaker.
Conference Focus: Responsible gambling and social responsibility within the gaming industry or in a broader context.
Conference Goals: Provide every attendee with new knowledge about responsible gambling and social responsibility within the industry and beyond. Inspire change and progress in the industry.
Submitting a Proposal
- Please note that this document was posted and distributed on July 13, 2016.
- All proposals must be received by August 24, 2016.
- Proposals must be submitted using the Guest Speaker Proposal Submission Form, which can be downloaded here. Please fill out each question in the template, as submissions are reviewed based on the quality of information provided. Please email the completed template to email@example.com
- Feel free to pass this call for speakers to a colleague or friend who you think may be a great addition to the conference.
- To keep current on the latest New Horizons conference news, please visit www.horizonsrg.com.
Proposal Review Process
- Members of the Conference Committee will review all proposals based upon the following criteria:
- Uniqueness of the topic;
- Relevance to the conference;
- Value offered to attendees;
- Ideas for audience engagement included in proposal – interaction, discussion and multi-media encouraged;
- Experience and credentials of the speaker in relation to the topic;
- Ability for attendees to use the presentation information;
- Feedback garnered from references.
- Please note that if more than one proposal is received on the same subject area you may be asked to join a panel.
- Notification of acceptance will be sent no later than September 15, 2016.
Expectations of Presenters
- Presenters are expected to meet all deadlines, as communicated by BCLC.
- Presentations will reflect content submitted in the proposal unless prior agreement with BCLC staff.
- Presenters will provide any necessary materials (e.g. PowerPoint presentation) by the date requested. Should BCLC provide a template for standardized use by presenters, this format only will be used unless there is prior agreement with BCLC.
- All presenters will be expected to provide consent to having their photograph or video images taken during the conference, consent to have their presentation distributed to attendees and posted online and be available for media interviews if requested. Presenters may request exemption from the requirement to distribute presentations in advance but this will be granted only in rare circumstances.
- Presenters may be asked to support promotion of the conference through BCLC pre-conference promotional activities, or to promote their own participation through relevant media available through their own organization, professional affiliations or online activities (blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Presenters may also be asked to participate in additional special conference sessions designed to extend availability of their expertise to attendees.
- All selected presenters will receive:
- Complimentary conference registration which includes breakfasts, lunches, coffee breaks and hospitality/networking events;
- Airport transportation;
- Invitation to a special speakers’ dinner hosted by BCLC senior management on the opening night of the conference;
- One return, economy-class flight to Vancouver (if necessary);
- Up to three nights’ accommodation at the Pan Pacific Hotel, Vancouver for non-North American residents, two nights for North American residents.
- BCLC will undertake to promote both the conference and the expertise of individual presenters through regional, national and international media.
- Thank you for your interest in, and support for, the New Horizons in Responsible Gambling conference.
*Documents are not currently supported on mobile devices.